Saturday, February 9, 2013

Blooming Nine Patch - an obsession

I love the Blooming Nine Patch pattern.  An original design by Blanche Young, it is featured in her book, "Tradition with a Twist" (CT Publishing - with Dalene Young Stone).  It's actually the cover quilt for that book.  But the BNP, as we devotees call it, is one of those quilts that takes on a different personality each time you make one.  And it's almost a mystery quilt, because it's almost impossible to imagine what it will look like until the top is done!

Blanche knew what she was doing when she made this a quilt for color exploration.  Each pair of fabrics touching each other must share at least one color.  If they share more colors, the quilt achieves a "blended" look.  If they share only one color, the different rounds are more distinct.

The combinations I like best are where the color(s) in the center are pale and kind of glowy.  Then to add a round that creates a distinctive path at about the halfway point.  These BNPs are so darned much fun to make that I have made eight so far...and I feel another one coming on.  

If you use a lot of floral fabrics, remember that nearly every floral includes a lot of green.  So my advice is to not let green be your only color in common between two fabrics.  Look for more interesting possibilities!

It's easy sewing and a great quilt for a determined beginner with some experience.  Lots of practice matching up those intersections!  And you learn a little something about fabric grain during assembly.  I think the secret of making this quilt is the "Friskies box".  I buy Friskies canned cat food by the case...it comes in a tray that is shrinkwrapped.  Two of those trays will hold a complete set of cut BNP strips and squares, in order; ready for you to sew.  I also like to make a key index card with sample fabrics, numbered, to make sure I remember which fabric I intended to use for each round. 

BTW, you need Blanche's book for your collection.  It has some great patterns with brilliantly written instructions.  And be aware that there is no fluff in the fabric requirements listed.  If you plan to make some cutting errors (!) buy a little more fabric than required. 

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person with an obsession for the Blooming Nine Patch - if you love them, too, let me know!  I see them in quilt shows all over the Pacific Northwest!

These photos are not too great, but you'll get the idea!

My first BNP - love the purple edge!   Hoffman florals are a great place to start if you're looking for BNP fabrics.


My second BNP - lots of blendy florals. Not visible in this photo - one of the rounds of squares is fussy cut cats in garden hats.  A treat for those who inspect the quilt closely!

My third BNP - I have seen several in this color combination at quilt shows.  Seems to be a a favorite to do them in all blues.  Mine has a pale lime green center which didn't photograph well.  This is the first one I did with one less round than the pattern calls for.  Makes a 62" x 72" quilt which is a little more useful for me.

 
My fourth BNP - for Trent H when he was about five years old.  This quilt is even smaller.  All jungle fabrics.  This was also my first attempt to do a little custom quilting by tracing the figures on tissue paper and quilting through the paper.  Then, as you see, I forgot to take a photo of the quilt after I removed the tissue...The quilted images turned out to be a "seek and find" game for him, which was an unexpected benefit.   
 
 
My fifth BNP - for Jennifer S. on her graduation from Eastern Washington University!  Creamy orange, pinks and greens.  A touch of blue.  Lots of fun!
 
 
 
My sixth BNP (can you believe it?) - This time a quilt for healthy eating!  All vegetable fabrics.  The purple edge is eggplant fabric.  I still have some fragments of some of these fabrics.  They're like sourdough, always waiting to be the start of another quilt...
 
 
My seventh BNP (are you still reading?) - another healthy eating quilt with all fruit fabrics.  Most of these fabrics have images that are small enough to fit in one square, except the watermelon fabric.  So the quilt has some scale changes as well as color changes.  The red on blue round is apple fabric and the last round is cherry fabric.  Photo taken at Calico Country in Lynden, WA.
 
 
My eighth BNP - that's all so far - this time not so much healthy eating but delicious drinking!  All coffee fabrics!  This one was a tough one to choose fabrics for, as most of the available coffee fabrics are brown!  And/or black!  But I found some that included teal and blue; the rounds are pretty distinct but that's what makes this pattern so fun!
 
 
Check out some other BNPs on the Internet and start thinking about your own.  This pattern started a trend in the early 1990's; there are other similar patterns around but Blanche started it all!  Thanks, Blanche!
 
 
 


9 comments:

  1. I'm falling in love with this pattern! I've made a nine-patch before. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just started my first BNP and am loving how the colors are melding into each other. Just on the first five rounds and haven't started but the diagonal rows together. Am a bit confused with the instructions though. Can you explain what she means about piecing the rows with the grain of fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two "straight of grain" options in fabric yardage are the "long" way - as the fabric is wrapped on the bolt - and the "across" way - from selvage to selvage. Each has its own characteristic stretchiness. Fabric stretches a little more in the direction of the selvage to selvage (crosswise) way than the "long" way. Try it! The smaller your cut pieces are in quilting, the less flexibility you have in assembly, with regard to managing the stretchiness. Your objective is to make all of the intersections, where pieces are sewn together, to match perfectly. When I am assembling the long, diagonal rows, I prefer that my 4 1/4" squares are placed in the row so that the crosswise grain (selvage to selvage) is the edge that will be sewn to the next row. The lengthwise grain is sewn to the nine-patch block in the same row. See page 82 in Traditions with a Twist - step 10 and the diagram below it shows this method. Blanche recommends that, when you cut the 4 1/4" squares, you align them all in a stack so that the grains are going the same way. I do that, but by the time I start sewing, I'm not as confident that I did it right. What if I was distracted by the cat jumping up on the table? Anyway, I test each piece by stretching it a little to make sure that I am sewing the least stretchy edge to the adjacent nine-patch. Then, when I assemble the rows, I know I have some "ease" to work with. I also press the seams to one side (toward the plain block) so I can "nest" the seams in the next row, and make my intersections as perfect as possible. This is a really good quilt to practice that technique on. By the time you finish, you'll be a professional "nester"! I hope you have fun making your BNP. It is such a fun project and satisfies the need we quilters have to push that fabric through the machine!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Judy for your direction. You have explained it very we'll. I can't wait to start putting rows together.

    Your quilts are beautiful! Love all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am a beginer and have made a small BNP quilt top, I don't know how to quilt it? is it better to stitch in the ditch or echo? Please help, Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kamalini, it is always best to quilt your quilt in a way that pleases you. In my opinion, there are so many small pieces in the BNP that stitching in the ditch would be overwhelming. My preference in quilts that are pieced with lots of straight lines, is to quilt them with curved lines! What is your preference? Follow your design sense and follow your quilting heart.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this information. My guild is having a 9 patch challenge for the fall and I just ordered the book. It is a bit confusing and the quilt very busy. I like a little more definition between the colors and trying fabrics out. Do you use solids? Blanches seem to be all florals. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, I haven't used solids, altho you certainly could. But it also limits your color choices for that "round" and the round before and after that one. So you're committed to that color for three of the rows. Color choices make the quilt "bloom" from the center out; if each pair of fabrics has one color in common, that also means that you can introduce new colors in the next round. If it was me, I would try using a fabric that has a pronounced background field with a small printed design. So lots of the background shows. That way you could get the effect of a solid and still have new colors to match for the next choice. Using fabrics with images larger than the pieces also adds an interesting design element. With Blanche's quilts, and most of the others I have seen, the fabrics have images that are smaller than the cut pieces. If you cut pieces from a fabric with large images, you get a different look for each chunk. Lots of motion. I did that with the watermelon fabric in my all-fruit BNP and I liked it. Before you cut, lay out your fabrics in order and turn the lights down low or take a black and white photo of them. That will give you a good idea of how that round with the solid (or reads-solid) fabric impacts your quilt. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve become obsessed with the BNP. Definitely on my list for 2020. I’m visualizing a Quilt of Valor or something using Kaffe Fassett or Tula Pink.

    ReplyDelete